Today we went to the good grocery store that is a longer walk from us. The plan was to stock up on some things so we didn't have to go back until much later in the week. I pick up some frozen shrimp to do a stir fry and some frozen fish fillets to bake. When we got to the check-out, the fish did not have a price tag, so one of the baggers went to check and came back with a different bag of fish with a price tag. Once we got home, I put the fish in the sink with a slow drip of cold water to thaw out the fillets. When I took them out of the plastic bag to prep them for cooking, these fish fillets seemed rather ... rubbery, almost tripe like. And upon further inspection, they were not really fillets, but tubular. I thought, some kind of organ? No, it definitely had a fishy smell to it. I looked at the label on the bag and read:
ФИЛЕ КАЛЬМАРА which roughly translates to FILE KALMARA
Yes, calamari, squid, that explains the rubbery texture and the fishy smell. It is also the one known food that will, well, kill me. Sigh. Straight to the trash. At least these three lovely fillet of squid only cost 411 tenge, which at today's exchange rate is about $2.75, a small price to pay for not dying today.
Luckily we have some Russian potato and chicken dumplings in the freezer that should taste great with the shallot/dill/lemon/butter sauce that was supposed to accompany the fish.
* the punny title is Ben's contribution to this blog post.
2 comments:
Excellent contribution Ben!
Better luck next time shopping! Phil & I are watching the BIG SPEECH from the pres. explaining things to Congress and the rest of us--not a stae of the union address, rather a, well, state of the union address. Barak does love to teach; I pray for short learning curves.
Love from Paula with Phil
Post a Comment