Monday, March 2, 2009

More Cooking in Kaz

Saturday night I made ham and lentil soup. I thought it would be trickier since I usually use chicken stock which is unavailable here unless you make it yourself. I was afraid plain old water would be too tasteless since I have limited spices as well. I found some big carrots, combined them with some tomatoes, onion, and garlic and was able to make a decent enough veggie broth for the soup. It turned out almost the same as when I make it at home. I would love to take some of these fat carrots home to the bunnies, but I just don't think they would make the long trip home.



Sunday night I decided to make a rustic apple tart since it seems the Kazakh dessert of choice is ice cream and I haven't been able to find anything warm and gooey. I did get some of their ice cream to top the tart.



As you may have suspected, I've been watching the food network a lot since I don't need to understand the Russian to understand the food. Plus, I think there is a food network gene in my family. There are only a few American shows, mostly British and Spanish, with some Russian. I would have thought the Spanish food would speak to me, but they always manage to put something in it that turns me away. The Russian stuff is hit or miss.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That tart looks absolutely delectable!