Monday, September 21, 2009

Sick girl

Miranda woke up in the middle of the night cranky and a little warm. This morning she woke up really cranky with a full on fever. While a perk of having a nanny is not taking days off when your baby is sick, the way she clung to me this morning made me want to stay home. The only problem - I have very little time-off built up since I burned all my leave earlier this year when we went to Kazakhstan and after Miranda came home. So after some consultation with Ben, we decided to try out the plan I devised if H1N1 hits later this year and work encourages people to telecommute. Basically, Ben stays home and takes care of Miranda, and I stay home and work. This trial run went ok. The biggest problem is that the desk is in the living room, otherwise known as Miranda's play area. Miranda really wants to be in my lap when I'm at the computer. This is not necessarily conducive to "productive" work. So after a quick run into the office to interview someone and handle some other pressing business, I relocated the laptop to the dining room table which worked much better. I think this plan is doable for sick days and H1N1 and other pandemics, but not on a more permanent basis.


I don't see why Mama has a problem with this.

2 comments:

Philip said...

Poor sweet baby. They just seem so vulnerable when sick. And it is very hard to work at home (or any place else) when such things arise. I (Paula) remember it well. It sounds like you & Ben have worked out a good plan, Rebecca. Phil I and wish you three the best.

Bob said...

I hope Miranda feels better soon, but I'm glad Ben captured this memorable photo of "working" from home in the meantime. Too cute! Bob