The 2011 Asian Winter Games were in Kazakhstan this year and I'm extremely frustrated with their apparent lack of consumerism. I have done copious googling, searching on Amazon, ebay, and some sites that won't even translate to English, and I have been unable to find anyplace where I can acquire souvenirs online. I mean, look at the adorable snow leopard mascot, Irbi, in his traditional Kazakh hat. Why isn't there a 12" plush version of this I can order for 3,750 Tenge ($24.99) and pay another $50 or so to have shipped to the good old USA? I mean, with the Kazakh adoption community, there has got to be tens of people like me who want the same, right? I'm just trying to stimulate some economy here. I mean, I guess I could have paid about $2,000 for a plane ticket to Almaty, picked up some items and flown right back, but I'm not *that* into stimulating the economy. Alas, alack. I guess I'll keep up my internet search for another couple of weeks, but it's not looking good for Miranda.Thursday, February 10, 2011
Irbi, where are you?
The 2011 Asian Winter Games were in Kazakhstan this year and I'm extremely frustrated with their apparent lack of consumerism. I have done copious googling, searching on Amazon, ebay, and some sites that won't even translate to English, and I have been unable to find anyplace where I can acquire souvenirs online. I mean, look at the adorable snow leopard mascot, Irbi, in his traditional Kazakh hat. Why isn't there a 12" plush version of this I can order for 3,750 Tenge ($24.99) and pay another $50 or so to have shipped to the good old USA? I mean, with the Kazakh adoption community, there has got to be tens of people like me who want the same, right? I'm just trying to stimulate some economy here. I mean, I guess I could have paid about $2,000 for a plane ticket to Almaty, picked up some items and flown right back, but I'm not *that* into stimulating the economy. Alas, alack. I guess I'll keep up my internet search for another couple of weeks, but it's not looking good for Miranda.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Rebecca,
I did the same thing and am also very disappointed. I guess some one forgot to tell the Kazakh officials about marketing to bring in extra revenue for the games. Let me know if you find anything and I will do like wise. Otherwise I guess we have to settle for pictures from the games.
Lynda, mama to Lukas (Taraz, 2009)
I admire your determination, and you're right: they are so missing out on a plush marketing opportunity!
These aren't plush, but they're Irbi-ish:
http://www.delcampe.com/item.php?id_enchere=0121146249&language=E&affiliate=googlebase_com&sessionToken=sslLogin_974c80951a4f7226703bd99f0f1d6690
Post a Comment